YORKTOWN CHRISTIAN CHURCH - ABOUT US
The Christian Church
"We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragment world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord's Table as God has welcomed us." *Disciples of Christ Statement of Identity
The Chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Mission Statement: To know the love of Christ, to show the love of Christ and to grow in the love of Christ.
Communion or the Lord's Supper is celebrated in weekly worship. His table is open to all who are followers of Jesus Christ.
Is to be a welcoming church in our community. We envision our church growing both physically and spiritually as we expand our ministries to meet the needs of our members and of those unchurched in our area. We recognize that all have special gifts and encourage our members to use their talents in the work of the church. It is our goal to engage all in experiencing the joy of Jesus Christ through worship, education, fellowship and mission projects.
Yorktown Christian Church History:
The congregation at YCC currently worships in the third building for our church. The first building, known as "The Little White Church" was in a small, white-sided structure in downtown Yorktown. The exact location is unknown. The congregation was founded in 1890.
Only a few short years later, a new, two-story brick building was constructed at the south east corner of Arch and Market Streets. Construction began in 1905 and the building was dedicated in 1907. This building served as our house of worship for nearly 100 years. In 1972, a two-story educational wing was added to the east side of the building.
Around 1993 or 1994; and after a long 5-year process of determining our growth pattern, the current physical condition of the building and what repairs would be required to bring the building up to current building codes; the congregation voted to explore the possibility of relocating. Two adjoining 5-acre tracts of land each had connections to current, and/or former church members. A request was given to the land owners to see if either or both might consider a charitable contribution to the church in the form of donating land.
Much to our surprise and to the glory of God, both were willing to do so and the church now owns 10 acres of land at our current location. Construction began in 2000 and the congregation moved into our new facility on May 5, 2001.